Prof. Pierluigi Benedetti Panici
is the Director of University Department of Gynecological and Obstetrics Sciences and Urological Sciences Umberto I Hospital, University “Sapienza” of Rome since October 2016 onward.
After the medical degree ‘cum laude’ at University “Sapienza” of Rome in 1975, he was medical assistant at the Department of Gynecologic Oncology of National Cancer Institute (Milan) and at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Catholic University (Rome). He was also Honorary Assistant at Breast Unit Cancer Research Found Guy’s Hospital of London in 1983 and Assistant Professor and Head of the Gynecology Oncology Section from 1986 to 1991 at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Catholic University (Rome).
He has a great experience in Gynecologic-Oncologic Surgery and paid particular attention to this research field along time.
He is primary operator of more than 9000 major gynaecological oncology surgical procedures for gynaecological cancer (cervix, endometrium, ovary, vulva, vagina) and of more than 12.000 major gynaecological surgery procedures for benign disease, including major operative laparoscopies, pelvic floor reconstructive surgery, operative hysteroscopies.
Finally, he is author of more than 500 international publications with a H-index Scopus score of 60.
He is member of numerous scientific societies.
• Poster Award – S.G.O.’s, 26° Annual Meeting, The Society of Gynecologic Oncologists, San Francisco, 1995.
• Visiting Professor al Memorial Sloan Kettering Center di New York Barbara Moore Jordan Foundation Conference, 1997.
• Visiting Professor al Comprehensive Cancer Center Um Sylvester, University of Miami, School of Medicine, 1999.
• Poster Award – Best Endometriosis Paper – 31th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists, 2002.
• “Kurt Semm Award for Excellence in Laparoscopy”, Best Oral Presentation at the 32nd Annual Meeting of the American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists, Las Vegas, 2003.
• “Wertheim Award” for outstanding in Gynecologic Oncology, Austrian Society of Gynecologic Oncology. ASGO, Vienna, 2005.
• Resectoscopic versus bipolar electrode excision of endometrial polyps: A randomized Study. 3rd prize Golden hysteroscope award. American Association of Gynecological, Laparoscopists, AAGL, Chicago, 2005.
• Histological analysis of endometrioma: what the surgeon needs to know.1st prize Carlo Romanini Award. American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists, AAGL, Chicago, 2005.
• 2nd Place “Kott Award for Best New Minimally Invasive Technique”, 37th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists, Washington, 2007.